Monday, February 8, 2010

Breaking Point

I have officially hit my breaking point.


Last weekend, I had to sit in a vacant house for five hours, with no heat and no running water. Why? Mandated open house for a property going to auction. Part of my agreement to try to sell this property before it went to auction is to sit three open houses; the dates and times are set by the auction company, and aren't negotiable.


The first date, last Saturday, was the same date as the Mom's Tea at my son's preschool. Our family schedule went like this: my older son and I went to the Mom's Tea, and had to leave early so we could drive 40 minutes to my open house. Meanwhile, my parents watched my younger son, while my hubby sat at my open house for the first hour, since the timing overlapped with the Mom's Tea. Once my son and I got to the house, my husband took my son back to my parents' house, then went to a meeting. I sat at that open house until late afternoon, with a little space heater to keep me from freezing in the 42 degree house. The next open house date is my birthday. No sympathy from the powers that be; I still have to do it.


It's not just this auction property. I list bank-owned houses for a bank, and, though it has been a steady part of my real estate business for three-plus years, the stress and anxiety is taking a toll. With a couple of exceptions, the asset managers are rude and full of their own importance. Definitely not team players. The bank requires me to complete online "education" every year to maintain my status as a preferred broker (ie, so I will continue to receive listings); this "education" is updated policies and procedures, and runs me about $1,000. For one "class." I'm expected to manage the property, make sure everything runs smoothly and the property sells quickly, yet I have no control over any aspect of the closing. And, adding insult to injury, I get paid less than what I normally charge, even though I have to do more.


I woke up with the flu today, probably due to my five hours in a frozen house. I feel terrible. But I have deadlines that need to be met, emails that need to be sent, and issues that need to be managed. No sick day for me. This is my breaking point. I'm stressing over things that are done by others, but for which I'm still responsible; I'm sick, and I'm tired, and I just want a sick day. I can't plan a special day with my kid, I can't take a day off. The actions of others lead to problems for me. I'm tired of having no control. I don't know where this leaves me, but I have some serious soul-searching to do. Maybe selling bank-owned houses isn't for me, and it's time I got out of that niche in this business. Or, maybe I should just stop whining, and realize that it's all part of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment